Friday, November 20, 2009

WB Acting

Hello Readers!

So I just watched "New Moon." The newest film in the Twilight Saga. Unlike the first film, I was going in with zero expectations. I read all 4 books. I love all 4 books. I went into "Twilight" with high expectations and they were DESTROYED by that film. "New Moon" did it again, but luckily this time I had zero expectations.

After watching the film I called a friend of mine and we talked about the acting in these films and he put it best, "It's what I like to call 'WB Acting.'" I asked him what he meant. WB acting is what you get in most WB shows. The melodramatic, over the top acting, that doesn't deliver any of the emotional depth the dialog meant to carry. For instance the dad walks in and says, "How's it going Bella?" and she replies, but first she must pause for 3 dots...ie WB acting. "...I'm fine dad. Just leave me alone." This film is a train wreck for these actors and they're terrible acting chops. Some scenes are very intense, or sad, or basically any emotion a human being will feel and you connect with ZERO of it. I did, however, like the dad in this film again and I liked the leader or king of the Vampires. He was a bit over the top, but that could be directing. He did a good job.

Being an actor, of course I want to commend my fellow actors for making it into such a successful franchise, but come on...where is the depth to your performance? I feel both films would be a millions times better if the audience could connect with your emotional range. A script, or story is only as good as the actors portray it to be. Sometimes you get HORRIBLE scripts but the actors in the film make the film enjoyable.

I hope the next film is better. I love the director they have for it and hopefully he can bring something out of them that the other 2 directors have failed to do. We shall see.

3 out of 10 stars for this film.

Cheers,
Jonathan Baca

No comments:

Post a Comment