Friday, November 13, 2009

5 Years...

Hello Readers!

So I'm coming up on my 5 year anniversary of my acting life. It went by so fast. I remember my first acting class like it was yesterday. I've learned a lot over the past 5 years. Some was taught to me, some I learned on my own, but I wouldn't trade the good, the bad or the ugly for anything. This is what I do. I believe that I was born to do this. From the first class, to my first scene, to my first short, to my first feature. I've come a long way in a short amount of time and I'm not planning on pushing down on the brakes anytime soon. I'm going to floor it. The sky's the limit.

I have notice over the past few years that people like to talk to me about acting. I understand they are interested in the work and acting in general but they need to know I don't like talking about it. I do hold conversations, and I am polite about it, but I really don't want to talk about it. Sometimes I don't even tell strangers that I'm an actor because I get the same questions over and over and over again. It's cool and all but I would like to talk about other things unless you are in the industry yourself. Lets talk sports. Lets talk music. Lets talk movies (that I'm not apart of). Anything, just not me and my career. I don't gloat. I've been asked about my work too. How I get into a role, or why did I do this in a scene. Apart from you being a director, an agent, a manager, a producer, an editor, or a co-star you will never know. I don't tell people how I got into the skin of the character. That's a very personal thing between the actor and his character. I remember at one of my day jobs a girl found out I was an actor and she said, "You're an actor?" and I was like, "Yes. Why are you so surprised? We're in LA, isn't everyone an actor out here?" and she said, "Yea, but everyone else talks about their work but I never hear you talk about it." I told her, "Cause I don't like talking about it. It's what I do and if you have questions, sure I'll answer them, but I'm not gonna gloat or talk about my work." She thought that was really cool, especially in LA where everyone likes to talk or gloat.

Maybe I'm different than the other actors out there in the world, but you will never hear my gloat or openly talk about my acting. Of course I'll share things with friends and family and what I've been up to, but that's as far as it goes. That's as far as I want it to go. That's another reason why I started this blog. Because I don't like talking about it, this is actually a great outlet to say what I feel like saying after an audition, or a shoot where I don't have to carry a conversation about it.

5 years...time to move on to the next 5 years of my career.

Cheers,
Jonathan Baca

No comments:

Post a Comment